East Grand Forks celebrates catfishCatfish aren’t the only big catch at the Cats Incredible catfish festival this weekend in East Grand Forks, Minn.
By: Emily Hartley, INFORUM
Catfish aren’t the only big catch at the Cats Incredible catfish festival this weekend in East Grand Forks, Minn.
The 23rd annual celebration runs Friday through Sunday, with a score of events beyond the staple Cats Incredible Fishing Tournament, which starts Saturday.
Friday features a media fishing derby from 1 to 5 p.m., with food vendors and a beer garden to follow until 8 p.m. in LaFave Park.
While some get in on the tournament action Saturday, others can enjoy a half-marathon or 5K walk/run at 8 a.m., inflatable kids’ games and the “Beans on the Bank” Chili Challenge, with judging and sampling beginning at noon.
Little Donnie and the Groove Tones will also play from 6 to 8 p.m.
Sunday brings the second day of the fishing tournament and more games, as well as art and science activities for kids beginning at 1 p.m. There’s also live music from Mark Ryan and Friends from 2 to 4 p.m. and balloon sculpting all afternoon.
The festivities end with an awards ceremony at 6 p.m. on Sunday.
Other events around the region this week include:
- Fargo Blues Festival, Newman Outdoor Field, Friday and Saturday. Among the festival’s many acts, Friday features the Tommy Castro Band, 2008-10 blues entertainer of the year, and the Grammy-nominated Duke Robillard Band. Saturday brings the legendary David “Honeyboy” Edwards and Walter Trout and the Radicals.
- Neighborhood Park Party, Hansmann Park, Moorhead, Tuesday, 6 to 8 p.m. The second of three neighborhood park parties, the event will feature music, games, crafts and a Bounce-N-Slide for kids. Another party will be held Aug. 31 at Village Green Park.
- Becker County Fair, Detroit Lakes, Minn., Wednesday through Saturday. The midway opens at 1 p.m. Thursday with live entertainment every day under the big tent. There will be a demolition derby Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m., as well as a host of 4-H events.
- Valley City Street Fair, Wednesday. The fair is during the city’s Crazy Days.
If you go
- What: Cats Incredible catfish festival
- When: Friday through Sunday
- Where: East Grand Forks, Minn.
Readers can reach Forum reporter Emily Hartley at (701) 235-7311
Tags: summer events, catfish festival, east grand forks, fargo blues festival, neighborhood park party, becker county fair, valley city street fair, news, events, communities, fargo, moorhead, fishing