OUTDOOR CALENDAR: Banquets and “Bombing of the Big Bog,”List of upcoming outdoor banquets and events.
By: Herald Staff Report, Grand Forks Herald
To get an event in the calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 148; or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is 5 p.m. Thursdays.
• Feb. 9: Kellys Slough Chapter of Delta Waterfowl banquet, 5:30 to 10:30 p.m., Ramada Inn, Grand Forks. Doors open at 5:30 p.m., with supper at 7:30. Info: Jim Benson, (218) 779-6556 or Matt Vanderpan, (701) 330-3038.
• Feb. 11: Min-Dak Border Chapter of the Minnesota Deer Hunters Associaiton banquet, 6 p.m., East Grand Forks Eagles Club. Tickets, $50, which includes MDHA membership, dinner and door prizes; limited $100 “mega banquet” ticket also includes raffle on six guns. Info: Jim Benson, (218) 773-7972; Loren Abel, (701) 741-1147; Arlin Wirkus, (218) 773-2984 or Tom Barrett, (701) 739-3030.
• Feb. 2: Icelandic State Park annual fishing derby, Lake Renwick in Icelandic State Park near Cavalier, N.D. Info: parkrec.nd.gov.
• Feb. 2: Justin Knebel Memorial Ice Fishing Tournament, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Zippel Bay Resort on Lake of the Woods. Proceeds go to University of Minnesota-Crookston athletic scholarship and the Justin Knebel scholarship. Info: www1.crk.umn.edu/events/justinknebel.
• Feb. 9: Ice Buster Daze, Red Lake River by Central Park in Crookston. Radar run, ice fishing derby, raffle prizes. Tickets available at Ceason’s Bait and Tackle or from Bobby Baird or Brian Ringdahl. Info: Ceason’s Bait and Tackle, (218) 281-6665.
• Feb. 16: Fishing derby, noon to 3 p.m., Springsteel Resort on Muskeg Bay of Lake of the Woods near Warroad, Minn. Prizes for largest walleye, northern pike, burbot and perch, $100 drawings every 15 minutes during the fishing derby and more than 30 raffle prizes. Info: Springsteel Resort, (218) 386-1000 or Warroad Chamber, (218) 386-3543 or warroad.org.
• Jan. 22: “Bombing of the Big Bog,” 1 to 2:30 p.m., Big Bog State Park near Waskish, Minn. Hear first-hand accounts and view rare artifacts and photos. Meet at the Visitor Center. Info: (218) 647-8592.
• Jan. 25-27: 21st annual Red River Valley Boat and Marine Products Show, Fargodome. Admission $7 adults, $2.50 age 6 to 12, free admission 5 and younger. Info: www.fargoboatshow.com.
• Jan. 26: Candlelight ski, 6 to 9 p.m., Lake Bronson State Park, Minn. Start and end at the Victor Johnson Visitor Center. Bring your own skis. Info: (218) 754-2200.
• Jan. 26: Bemidji snowmobile tour, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Info: (218) 308-2300.
• Jan. 26: Candlelight ski, 5 p.m., Zippel Bay State Park near Williams, Minn. Skis (and snowshoes) are available for checkout, and the local ski group will sponsor a meal beginning about 5 p.m. Info: (218) 783-6252.
• Jan. 31: “Aldo Leopold — A Standard of Change,” 7 p.m., Kiehle Auditorium, University of Minnesota-Crookston. Free and open to the public. A one-man play by Jim Pfitzer exploring the influences and challenges that led Aldo Leopold to pen his renowned book, “A Sand County Almanac.”
• Jan. 31: “Snowshoeing for Fun,” 1:30 to 3 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Info: John Fylpaa, (218) 308-2300.
• Feb. 1-2: Greenway Ski Days, Lincoln Drive Park, Grand Forks. Info: gfparks.org.
• Feb. 9: Winter Expo, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Chalet building, Turtle River State Park, N.D. Winter clothing and gear demos from the Ski and Bike Shop and Cabela’s and a birding discussion with Sandy Aubol of the Grand Cities Bird Club. Snacks, hot drinks and food will be available throughout the day. An annual park pass or $5 daily pass is required to enter the park. Info: Laci Prucinsky, (701) 594-4445.
• Feb. 16: Frozen Feat 5K and 10K race, 10 a.m., downtown Grand Forks. Info: frozenfeat.com.
• Feb. 16: Bikecicle Winter Bike Race, 11 a.m., Blue Moose, East Grand Forks. Info: www.greenwayggf.com.
• Feb. 23: BeMobile’s Extreme North Dakota Iceman Triathlon, Lincoln Drive Park. Info: www.greenwayggf.com.
To see a full outdoors calendar with more extensive listings, go to www.GrandForksHerald.com and click the Outdoors link.