• Saturday — Minnesota pheasant opener.
• Nov. 4-19 — Minnesota firearms deer season in Series 100 units.
• Nov. 18-26 — Wisconsin gun deer season.
• Nov. 25-Dec. 10 — Minnesota muzzleloader deer season.
• Nov. 27-Dec. 6 — Wisconsin muzzleloader deer season.
• Dec. 30 — Opening of lake trout and stream trout seasons in lakes entirely within the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
• Jan. 13 — Opening of lake trout and stream trout seasons in lakes outside or partly outside the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
• March 31 — Brule River steelhead opener.
• May 5 — Wisconsin general fishing opener.
• May 12 — Minnesota general fishing opener.
Consult regulations for other seasons.
“Every child has a pond he visits, if not physically, certainly in his dreams; a pond that, if he is lucky, he returns to as an old man.”
— GUY DE LA VALDENE, “On the Water — A Fishing Memoir”
DO IT: Timberdoodles
Woodcock — sometimes called timberdoodles — should be moving now. Or very soon. These small, oddly-shaped birds with the long bills stop in our neighborhood on their southward migration. If you’re grouse hunting, you might stumble into a bunch of them and have some fun shooting.