Beginning Monday, Sept. 5, the road through the 331-acre bison range at Minneopa State Park in Mankato will be open to vehicles from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday through Tuesday for bison viewing.
This is a change from the summer hours of 9 a.m.- 8 p.m. The range will continue to be closed on Wednesdays for maintenance.
Bison viewing tips:
- The bison drive begins off Highway 68, near the park campground. A vehicle permit ($5/one-day or $25/year-round) is required to enter the park.
- Bison may be difficult to spot at times. Keep a watchful eye driving through the range and take advantage of the Seppmann Mill overlook to help spot the bison.
- Remain inside vehicle at all times while within the bison range.
- Bison get nervous around loud noises or lots of activity, so keep voices down and movements to a minimum to help keep the bison within easy viewing.
- Hiking is not allowed inside the range, but there are hiking trails all the way around the outside of the range. Pets must be on a leash when using park trails or grounds.